The High Health Stakes Of A Truck Accident
With major thoroughfares like Interstate 5 and State Route 73 running through it, Orange County has a large number of commercial trucks on its roadways. While these vehicles serve as an important engine of Southern California’s thriving economy, they can also represent a serious hazard for passenger motorists who share the road.
Auto accidents involving commercial trucks are often among the most severe of those which occur on county streets and highways. The reason for this is fairly simple: Delivery trucks and transportation vehicles typically weigh much more than passenger automobiles. When the larger trucks strike smaller vehicles, tragedy can result.
If you or a family member has been seriously hurt in a crash involving a commercial vehicle, it’s a good idea to contact an Orange County personal injury attorney who has experience litigating truck accident cases.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Personal injury cases involving Orange County truck accidents can be more complicated than those involving passenger vehicles. This is due to the fact that there are often multiple parties who may be held liable for damages sustained in a crash. While this situation does also sometimes occur in passenger automobile crashes, it is more predominant in truck crashes.
An experienced Orange County attorney can establish just who is responsible for an accident and will work to build a personal injury case that offers you fair compensation for your damages. It may be possible to seek personal injury compensation when:
- · A driver violated California trucking laws: Any time an accident results from a motorist breaking a law, that person may hold responsible for an accident. It’s important to know that drivers have stringent regulations for operating commercial trucks.
- · An operator was distracted: Texting, making calls without a hands-free device and grooming oneself are all examples of distracted driving for which a person may be held liable.
- · The person driving a truck was fatigued: Truck operators must observe federal limits on how long they are allowed to be on duty and the minimum break periods between shifts. Violating these rules can open a person up to personal injury lawsuits.
- · A load was too large or improperly stored: Carrying too much, or not sufficiently packing and securing a load, can also result in a driver of trucking company being sued.
- · An accident resulted from faulty equipment: Parts manufacturers or auto service providers may be held responsible for crashes caused by faulty equipment. Trucking companies could be on the hook for damages if vehicles were not regularly maintained.
These are some of the most common causes of truck accidents, although your attorney will be familiar with others that can enable you to seek compensation.
What An Orange County Lawyer Can Provide
When you obtain the services of an Orange County Vehicle Accident attorney, you’ll have someone on your side who will seek to protect your legal and financial interests at every stage of the personal injury process. Your lawyer will advise you of your best options given the circumstances of your case.
In many situations, it will be best to settle with a liable party (or with liable parties). In the event that no agreement can be reached concerning compensation, your lawyer can build a case that gives you an opportunity to obtain a judgment in an Orange County court that is fair to you.