A Common Occurrence On The Road
With a population of more than two million in its metropolitan area, Kansas City experiences high levels of traffic. As might be expected, Interstate 70, U.S. Route 71 and other roadways bearing this traffic are frequently sites of car accidents.
Regardless of how carefully or defensively you might drive, there is always the chance that another motorist could drive negligently or recklessly and strike you. Perhaps this unfortunate reality has been made all too clear in a recent crash with another vehicle.
While a car accident may have turned your life upside down, the good news is that you may at least be able to seek compensation for damages sustained in a crash. An experienced Kansas City attorney can offer advice regarding your prospects for obtaining personal injury compensation.
Frequent Causes Of Car Accidents
When it comes to determining whether you might be eligible to pursue personal injury compensation after a Kansas City accident, an attorney will consider many factors. Most significant will be the cause of the motor vehicle accident that you were involved in. If another party acted in such a way that ultimately led to your being hurt, he or she may be held liable for your medical expenses and other damages.
Liability may often be established when an accident involves one of these common causes:
- · A driver is going too fast at the time of a crash, including situations in which a person is over the legal limit or traveling more rapidly than conditions allow.
- · Another motorist is driving recklessly, including if he or she makes an unlawful pass, quickly veers from one lane to another or makes frequent starts and stops.
- · The car you’re traveling in has a mechanical problem that results in you being unable to safely operate the vehicle.
- · A motorist is texting while driving, performing personal grooming or distracted in some other way at the time of an incident.
- · A poorly designed or maintained roadway causes you to be involved in an accident.
These are by no means the only situations in which you may be eligible for compensation from another party. All types of accident causes may open the door for you to seek a settlement or personal injury judgment against another driver. Your attorney can provide information on the scenarios in which it may be possible to obtain compensation for damages.
What A Kansas City Lawyer Can Do For You
Your lawyer’s first order of business will be to understand all of the circumstances surrounding the incident in which you were involved. He or she will complete a comprehensive interview with you while referencing a police report and any other documentation related to an accident.
In the event that it appears you have a personal injury case, a Kansas City car accident attorney will go to work compiling evidence that supports your assertions of what happened in an accident. This may involve seeking official statements from any eyewitnesses, taking photographs of a crash scene and other measures. These efforts can help you obtain a settlement or judgment that fairly compensates you for damages.