Harmed By A Reckless Driver?
According to the Illinois Department of Transportation, 283,000 car accidents were reported across the state in 2011. These accidents led to 85,000 injuries and impacted thousands of families. If you were recently involved in a Chicago auto accident, you can empathize with these victims as you understand firsthand what they have experienced. This, unfortunately, doesn’t make your personal circumstances any easier. You may still be in pain and have no idea where to turn or what to do. A knowledgeable Chicago car accident attorney will.
If the accident was caused by a reckless driver or other factor out of your control, you may be eligible to receive compensation. Let an attorney evaluate the details of your accident to determine if pursuing a personal injury claim is right for you.
The Common Causes Of Auto Accidents
A Chicago attorney will be up to date on all facets of Illinois law which could impact your case and will also be aware of which strategies will be most effective for you. Before delving into case strategies, however, your attorney will need to understand the specific cause(s) of your collision. When it comes to personal injury law, the most successful cases are those which can be linked to a preventable factor, such as:
- Distracted driving, such as texting while driving, using a GPS, eating or drinking or performing any activity which diverts a driver’s eyes and attention from the road.
- Reckless driving is not only illegal in Illinois, but is a leading cause of car crashes. Ignoring traffic signs, weaving through traffic, speeding, and breaking any traffic rules are all considered reckless behaviors.
- Badly maintained roads which jeopardize the safety of all drivers, such as dangerous potholes, lack of guardrails, missing traffic signs and any other safety hazard.
- Impaired driving is another leading cause of accidents in Chicago and can land the guilty driver with many harsh penalties.
- Defective car parts in which the auto manufacturer can be held liable, including seatbelt failure, faulty airbags and bad brakes along with any type of mechanical failure.
If the cause of your accident can be attributed to a negligent factor, the next phase of your claim will be determining the extent of your injuries and other harm you have endured from the accident. Medical bills, auto repair records and keeping track of lost time at work can all show how the accident has impacted you.
Fighting On Behalf Of Chicago Victims
Perseverance. Knowledge. Experience. Your car accident attorney in Chicago will bring all these skills and more to your case as he or she works to create a positive outcome for you. Whether through filing a lawsuit, negotiating with the insurance company or supporting you in any other way, your lawyer will be there for you.